One of my all-time-favorite spreads is hummus. I love the texture and it’s nutritious and rich in protein. This time I added some beetroot to mix it up and add some colour. Hummus is a great spread for party snacks or as a dip for vegetable sticks.
Beetroot Hummus Recipe
Ingredients for beetroot hummus
2 cups chickpeas
3 small beetroots
2 tsp salt
juice of half of a lemon
3 tbsp tahini
2 garlic gloves
½ cup water (or less)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
How to make Beetroot Hummus
- Cut beetroots in 4 pieces. Place them in boiling water. Boil them until they’re cooked (try with a fork). Peel off the skin with your hands, it comes off easily. Let the beetroots cool off slightly.
- If you use canned chickpeas, wash them under running water.
- Add chickpeas, beetroot, salt, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, olive oil and cumin in a food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Add some water, depending on how thick you like it.
- Have a little taste, you can add some more ingredients if you like. We absolutely love tahini and usually add some extra tahini for some more flavor.
- Voila! Enjoy the hummus with some crackers or as a part of your meal.
Love, Jonna x
Jonna Haataja is a wellness coach and personal trainer from Finland. She currently lives in Perth, Australia. She is passionate about healthy active lifestyle, nutritious food, exercise, yoga and helping others. Follow her on Instagram: @jonnahaataja.